View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hmmmm...
I spoke with our previous vet (don't get me started...okay...too late) about the bad breath and he said it was "nothing.) However, out of respect for Mrs. D's mega brainpower and love of doggies, I will ask the new vet the next time I go (if not sooner).

Why I don't like my previous vet:
You see, one day our doxie, who has the world's BEST personality, was acting VERY strange. Her tail was between her legs. She was shaking. Her eyes looked forlorn. I could not get her to wag her tail for anything.
She was like this for two days. I got totally FREAKED. I thought for sure that someone hurt her behind my back. Yep, I know I must of sounded PARANOID, but the dog was NOT HERSELF. So....I took her to the vet. (#$@!$#@%).
The (#$@#$%~) told me that I was nuts. That the dog was fine.
I was so distraught, I called our son to the house (he is a young man going to college living in an apartment nearby). He came home and we forced the dog to walk. She (my doxie) seemed ANGRY. She walked a little funny. Son was able to determine that she was favoring her back legs and wombling slightly. The poor little thing seem to be really pushing herself to walk right!

That night I took her to the emergency vet. She had a slipped disc and a "degenerative spine." We put her on prednisone and crated her for many days. She worsened and worsened. The next thing I know, she was crippled. The next thing after that...I was rushing her to the next city for emergency surgery.

However, she is doing very well now. I WISH WISH WISH I had trusted my instincts 'cause I feel like if the dog had gone on prednisone as SOON as I realized she was sick, she would have had a MUCH better chance of recovery WITHOUT SURGERY.

Now, so far, since the cleaning (she was a LEVEL TWO!) her breath seems real good at this moment. However, I will be watching (smelling). If it worsens toooo quickly, I WILL get her to the new (lady) vet...who who seems very bright and caring too.

Housebreaking:
She took a long time, but all the doxie books say this is common.
Her "deal" is that she does NOT bark when she needs to go.
She casually looks at the door. MAYBE she goes to the door and stands there for a minute or two. If you MISS these subtle clues, she will go to the bathroom.

Other dogs I have had, bark LOUDLY or scratch at the door.
Madome doxie, can't be bothered or something...I don't get it.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote