View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Free gingival graft surgery

Hi dllfo,

The procedure you have described is called free gingival grafting. I believe we wrote about this in a previoud thread.

The tissue on the palate (roof of the mouth) is very thick, not at all like the thinner gum tissue around your teeth. During a free gingival graft procedure, a small rectangular, thin layer is shaved or gently cut from the palate. This piece of tissue is them sutured over the area of the tooth that is missing gum tissue. The "clay" that you speak of is not actually packed into anything. This is a thin piece of "clay like" material that looks similar to silly putty and it is placed over the surgical areas as a bandade. Most of the time it falls off of the palate within a day or two which is usually ok but it stays on the newly grafted site for about a week.

You should brush and floss all of your teeth (except the surgical sites) twice a day to keep the plaque level down. The chlorhexadine has a tendency to temporarily stain your teeth but it will come off when you have your teeth cleaned.

You mentioned going back and having it done again?? I assume you mean you will have 2-3 visits to complete all 3 areas with each site being done at each visit. The palate need to heal in between visits so it is imperative to have excellent oral hygiene during the healing process. A clean mouth will also help the grafts integrate with the gum tissue. If the mouth is not clean and plaque accumulates, the grafts may become infected and not take.

Let us know how things are going!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllfo View Post
Next Thursday I will have oral surgery where they cut/scrape the skin off the roof of my mouth, then sew it on to my gums. Then they pack my gums in a substance (like clay?) and put the "clay" on the roof of my mouth.

I drank drano when I was 3, had false teeth around 4-5 years old. My permanent teeth came in, but I have had trouble with them all of my life. I have been told this was coming for years.

I asked how long I would have the "clay" in my mouth and they said they didn't know. No brushing, no flossing, rinse my mouth with Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Rinse. The nicest thing the bottle says is that it stains our teeth.

Have any of you had this done? I have 3 areas that need the work. So after 3 weeks I go back in for .... sorry, can't remember, I think to get the stitches out. Then, as soon as the skin grows back enough, we do it again.

Have any of you had this surgery?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote