View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Brian and everybody.

I've never had a low dip during the night in all my life as a diabetic. I inject myself every morning about 8 a.m. with 22 units of Lantus.

I don't snack in between meals, either.

I just go to Dunkin with Alan, have my whole grain bagel and light cream cheese (or reg cream cheese, because they just put a shmear of it on). and my cup of coffee.

Then at 1 p.m. I have my salad with grilled chicken or I'll have some soup and a small piece of fish,instead of the salad. I'm not a big eater any more. The salad is very filling.

Sometimes I'll have some berries at 3 p.m but usually I forget so I don't eat anything.

At 5 or 6 we eat dinner. Alan eats healthy but eats more than I do.

I have my salad, fish with a side order of stir-fried veggies. Then I'll have my second cup of coffee of the day.

That's it. Nothing but water or a cup of sugar free hot cocoa at 10 p.m.

I don't even think about eating at night anymore. I guess I retrained my brain.

But TODAY was really about self-discipline let me tell you. We had friends come in from out of town and we took them to our favorite Japanese Restaurant. We like to go there on special occasions because lunch costs $5.50 and where on earth can you get Teriyaki chicken or fish on a bed of veggies and sprouts for $5.50, (along with rice if you want it).

I mean, it's cooked fresh, it's cheap and it has ambience.

Well, we all sat down and everybody ordered wine. We don't drink so we had water. Then they ordered appetizers. We don't eat appetizers. I mean, we probably could but we don't and that's that!!!

So out comes the shrimp tempura, the fried rice, the white rice, the hibachi steak, the lo-mein noodles, the this, the that, along with california rolls (which I adore and they don't raise my sugar).

I ordered my teriyaki Chicken on bean sprouts with a bit of brown rice.

I took my time. I don't eat fast. Alan had the same.

Everybody is asking us "why don't you eat like we do??" We simply said "we are used to eating this way, it's no big thing". We don't want to bring all attention to ourselves but we are not about to chug a lug wine, and start eating tempura especially when we used to weigh 300 lbs or so.

So then we went for a walk and we took them home and out came my home-made muffins. And jello with splenda, and 100 calorie cookie packs. They laughed and took out their italian pastry. We had a good time.

Old friends are so precious, it really doesn't matter who eats or who doesn't eat or what they DO eat!!! It's hoping that you are having a pain free day so you can take them out for a walk and enjoy their company.

Alan had a ball today. I was so happy to see him walking around (shoe boot and all), showing them the stores in my neighborhood.

His shoes should be ready in a week or two. Can't wait!!!!

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote