View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default rules on returning to "normal" activities

Hi everyone,

I am new to the board and need a little advice...

My case of PCS isn't nearly as difficult or severe as many of the posts I have read on this site (sending good energy your way) and I hesitated even writing in, but I have had trouble finding answers to some basic questions and hope some of you out there wouldn't mind helping me. Here is my story:

I fell off of my horse a week and a half ago, out for 10+ mins and after two trips to the ER (normal MRI/CT scans) was diagnosed with PCS. Last week i was a mess, depressed, couldnt sleep, ears ringing, difficulty speaking, irritable - classic symptoms, i spent the week literally in a dark room. Today I started feeling a little better, the fog seemed to lift, and I suddenly wanted to get up and go do something (manic is quite normal for me, otherwise I would worry about that). I just can't get a straight answer on what types of activities I am ok to participate in, obviously riding horses is out, I have been warned that another blow would be it for the head, but I have been tucked away in my condo for over a week now and am wondering what is rule on going for a walk, or light jog - is it safe to try? or am I risking a return of/prolonging symptoms? I know if I sit in the condo another week without any exercise I will get depressed, and that would be true without PCS, so i am anxious to return to some activity. I am just worried that if i start doing things i am going to prolong recovery or risk more damage.

Has anyone out there returned to activities after a concussion this soon or is this break in symptoms just that?

The other question I hesitate to mention, b/c it is sooo superficial, but when can i have a glass of wine? The docs said don't drink until you feel better, so i am feeling better, but won't risk it if anyone has experience on alcohol consumption (a glass or two of wine once a week would be all i would want to do) and a negative impact on recovery.

Again I apologize for my "fluffy" questions about a very serious condition, but I would really appreciate any advice you can provide.
horsegal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote