View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You are right, Keri. Sometimes you just have to pick yourself up and keep going. Your courage is inspiring. Sometimes I just can't believe there are doctors out there who are that insensitive and that clueless. How would they feel if they were on the other side? Keri, did you find another doctor? Wiz, I was struck by the ballerina story. Cotton balls and a big black hole but few symptoms--wow. I saw my therapist today (80% of her clients have MS) and she confirmed what everyone is saying on this board...that there is no correlation between lesion load and symptoms, necessarily. In fact, she told me that the she has talked frequently with the expert doc. of the MS clinic in my city and they describe it as the "X" factor. No one really knows why a person could have one lesion and lots of symptoms OR many lesions but few symptoms. Obviously there is a lot of uncertainty about how the brain functions. This is why she likes working with MS patients--because she believes that the X factor leaves a lot of room for hope and she has seen people improve against the odds or surprise the docs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguins View Post
Cherie - you made me laugh when I saw your post about my doc being the same! (Alas, we are on different sides of the country)...

Anyhow, Natalie, I think Cherie is right - both of our docs did a great job of scaring the crud out of us...at least mine did me. Too bad he couldn't scare the MS right out of me, huh?

Based on things neuros said, I have decided to fight the MS aggressively - and I'm also at the same time trying to disregard how grim it was presented to me. I will fight this - and fight to keep my strength as much as I can!! There have been times in the last 3 months when I've felt absolutely defeated - okay, most of the last 3 months I have felt defeated - yet, oddly, at the same time I'm also fighting and not giving up or giving in.

Sometimes you just gotta pick yourself up and dust yourself off. Of course, I know that's hard when you know you'll either be kicked down again or you'll fall down on your own.... but somehow, I keep going!!

Best,

Keri
Natalie8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (04-08-2008)