View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 01:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I honestly think alot of it has to do with the skill of the surgeon and their willingness to learn new techniques. It also has to do with money, since there's quite a bit of training involved with learning the new technique.

Its not easy to find a doc that is up on all the new stuff, but if you search around, you'd be suprised. I was frustrated with the local docs when I went to HSS, but before I did, I asked around the local NS and OSS groups for recommendations, and they were actually suprisingly willing to name names when I told them what I was looking for. Finding docs who do T-spine surgery is like looking for a needle in a hay-stack.

Another thing you might want to consider is to look into AlphaKlinik (sp?) in Munich, Germany. I know, long haul to go there, but they're so much farther ahead of the US in terms of spinal medicine it's not even comparable. The will review films and make recommendations, so you won't have to take a trip there if he's not really a candidate. A couple of members here have gone to Germany, for a similar amount that you were quoted for LA, and that included getting pre-op, the whole hospitalization, and rehab. Go check out http://globalpatientnetwork.com if you haven't already. Mark and other's have had wonderful successful experiences with going out of country to get the best care possible. A couple of folks too out loans, or maxed out CCards to do it, but are thoroughly pleased with their results.

Best of luck to you.

Theresa
Tbackpain1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote