View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Oh what to say when you don't like any of the names

I have read about every post that has been put into the old site and this new one as well as the Als site on Build UK .

I have had nothing to do but read this last 2 weeks and to say it became boring is to put it mildly. The first 5 days were rough but the following got better each day till I am finally home again. Safe once again till next time.

Now as to the subject of this post I have come around to the fact for me that this is indeed named appropriately Braintalk 2.

It came as Braintalk 2 when the other failed and it became apparentt when the other sysop turned his back and said in 'my' polite words nuts to you all.

No word to anyone of us as to what to expect nor what had happened and it was clear that both him and his new "administrator" had the capability to do it. So it is evident to me that we were and are more so now a business or career endeavor and not human beings.

The site has at the top lost it's humanity and I now wonder if it indeed ever had any.

It came into existance at the request of the Head of Neurology who put John Lester at the helm of implementing it and using the space at the hospital and the equiptment there provided for the convenience of said project.

The fact that there had to be a personal relationship evolve was of necessity and not necessarily because of the wanting of interaction but of the nature of thils medium in order to enlarge on the idea that was being presented. I think the very fact that it had so many problems with the hospital funding the maintenance and buying of the required equiptment says they soon tended to see it as a detriment and not an asset. It was always emphasised that the Hed of Neurology supported it but not the hospital in general and if it wasn't for the absolute complete devotion of John it would be closed in a flash.

What a way to build a following.

I remember the fan club and it's total fantasy reaction to a picture of a man looking skyward on the steps of a building with a tool belt on with cameras and gear that bespoke of a man facing the odds on their behalf.

But I also remember a man who took a great deal of thanks and appreciation for an advocacy promotion that if he had not left the country when he did would never of come into being.

I guess looking back I can see all of the good that was accreditted to him there but I see it in a different light than most do.

The site had nothiln to do with John save to run the computer and while there has been talk of monies being paid to lhim to buy and improve the equiptment he has never said he was out of pocket. Only implied he could be if no one helped by contributing.

So my message is this.

Braintalk was an entity that could have been anywhere and could and would have become successful with anyone at the helm.

It only takes a few hundred dollars to buy and manage a business but to make it a success the ability to run a one man opeation has to give way to having more employees based on the numbers of customers you attrack.

In thils capacity John is a complete failure.

So out of every collapse there comes a new adventure with a completely new perspective who appears to have learned from all of the others.

There are many things here I don't particularly care for but putting that aside I believe this one has the potential to succeed.

So then keep the Braintalk 2 as a name and while everyone is or has gotten used to it I see ilt as a second chance for what the OBT could have been.

When I learned that the old backups before the last edition on Braintalk were still sitting on the top of a shelf or box in John's Hasty Pastry location I thought if he never cared about those ones what would make you think he will care about the latest lost files.

There is a full fledged operation going on at the OBS to eliminate the ALS forum with locked postings and disappearances of posts that happens so fast no one even sees them.

I have seen 2 posts go that way.

I witnessed in the Parkinson's forum a man post with a 'phony' name who pretended to be a disgruntled former known member and falsely started accusations against the moderators over a previous banning and was taken off so fast I thought for a moment he never had posted. But he had and I read it again before it disappeared. He then came here and under his own non de plume used at this site spoke out against the moderator there as if he had not done anything wrong and never mentioned who and what he had done there to hurt the member he was pretending to be.

Why I am saying this is that the too little authority is as bad as the too much authority. That is my major complaint here.

But notice I am saying it. would not attempt it there at the old one.

So that is my premise off with the old and on with the new and may we all get the opportunity for a second chance.

Up with Braintalk 2
Thelma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote