View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Sheena, my heart aches for you. Others have given great advice.

I am not in your exact situation and don't know exactly all that you have going on in your life. But . . .

1. There are many of us single parents on the board with not only MS but other conditions as well. So you are not alone going through this.

2. For me, the 1st year was the hardest physically and emotionally. However, I never considered giving up custody of my kids. It made me fight harder to get the MS under control. Between their dad and myself, I am the better parent and would not even consider them going to live with their dad. It would not have been in their best interest (nor his or mine) for them to live there (long story). Keep that in mind, who would be the better parent for your daughter. Who would provide for her better emotionally. The financial stuff can be worked out.

3. There are many organizations out there that can help you out. Many of them do it for free. A good start would be to contact your local state agency. There are people who volunteer to assist those with disabilities. Some things that they can and do for you are shopping, laundry, house cleaning, errands, meal preparations, etc.

4. It is OK to go for counseling to help you through this. Are you taking an AD? If not would you consider it? Counseling for DD would be helpful too.

5. Please consider your DDs feelings in all of this. Would she be hurt emotionally be you giving up custody? What would be the long term affects on her? What would she feel like in a year when you are doing better? Would she feel that you abandoned her?

Please think about this before you sign anything. Give yourself some time. Talk to people who have disabilities and children.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you make the best decision for all.

EDIT: I am not on Ty so I can't help you out on the Ty issues. Vic is a great resource for this and there is a Ty thread on the boards that you can refer to.

Last edited by tkrik; 04-10-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Additions
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (04-11-2008), sheena (04-11-2008), sugarboo (04-11-2008), the Bird (04-10-2008)