Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Post hard to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglady View Post
He takes amaryl and usually a aspirin 81 mg.
Good colesterol has been to low for years but no high c. His sugars went up last week or maybe the week before(memory?) to 250 which was high for him. With the sickness now it is going up and down from 88 to 186 etc. Sickness they say is doing that. He has only one kidney due to losing it to cancer some years back, everything is normal with the one.
We eat out too much and when I do cook it is usually simple type food. Meat, carb, veggie. He does eat at least 1 banana a day and rarely a apple. Drinks glass mild every morning. No smoking or drinking either.
Both of us have terrible habbit of eating sweets and salty junk and I mean jubk daily! He has been nopt eating as much at mealtime do to saying not that hungry. gets up from table and later eats junk. Thanks for your help, Gaye
At this point Gaye... it is hard to say what to do with hubby. You don't know what is "wrong" with him, and in his case with one kidney and diabetes, there may be something going on with him. Infections often raise blood sugar.

I have seen many older people who eat junk and SMOKE and live a long time.

Many elderly get into the "sweet" thing because the brain craves glucose, and rewards for it. There is an article in Science News this week in fact proving glucose reinforces brain activity (dopamine)...but sweet taste artificial sweeteners do not).

We had a cousin who lived to be 107 (active til the very end) and she ate candy all day long! We took her to the grocery (this was in another state) once and she bought a whole push basket of 1/2 off Easter candy! I mean...she had no family no kids in the neighborhood, and she sheepishly confessed it was all for her! It was amazing to me.

So it really depends on the body and genes you get.

So wait til hubby gets out of hospital and has a diagnosis etc. After treatment he may feel much better.

The B12 we use here is Jarrow methylcobalamin 1mg or 5mg depending on need.
5mg:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=117
1mg:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=129

I looked up Amaryl and it depletes CoQ-10...this is an expensive item, and you probably will need to think about that.

The B12 is safe to take now, in fact all people over 50 are recommended now to take a B12 supplement.

If this is a beginning time, then the 5mg daily for 2 or 3 months will show improvements. Then you can reduce to 1mg daily. Take on an empty stomach,
not much is absorbed from under the tongue, but most is swallowed.

B12 has no negative impact on the kidneys..and has no toxicity profile. So start there. And we'll see later about other things, okay?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote