View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slskckjebw View Post
[COLOR="darkred"]It is difficult when you see what MS can do. The youth minister I had when I was in high school has a very aggressive form of MS. He went from functioning ok to total care in a matter of 10 years.

The problem was they did not find the MS soon enough to treat it. I am not sure how much it would have mattered.
When you're mention "agressive MS", I'm assuming that you mean Primary Progressive MS. Unfortunately that is agressive, and as far as I'm aware, the medications that so far have been made available to us (DMDs), don't treat that classification of MS. It's not a case of not diagnosing MS early enough, it's just that research has not yet found a drug to help those afflicted with PPMS.

Quote:
He has many lesions in his brain and spine.
Apparently the number of lesions one has doesn't have anything to do with the severity of the disease. I've read that's it's actually location of those lesions that have more of an impact.

We recently had a thread about this, but I can't remember it's name.....sorry! Maybe other members will and so be able to provide you with a link.

Quote:
He never really had any relapse.
It seems that people with progressive MS don't have relapses...they just keep progressing. Please correct me MSers if I'm wrong here.

Quote:
It is a difficult situation. Difficult for me because I used to baby sit for his children and just recently his wife called to see if I would go sit with him while she went to the store. She does not know I was recently dx'd.
Why don't you just give her a call and apologise for not getting back to her. Say you had things on and it slipped your mind....or similar.

It's up to you whether or not you disclose your own MS after you've re-established contact. Remember that while it might give you a conversation topic, it might also be a downer for you if your friends are negative when they discuss the condition. Only you can judge that as you're the one who knows them best.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote