Thread: Opinions please
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

If I still had my dog TinyMonsters (he died in March of 2006, less than a month before my right hip went numb...) I'd probably be training him to be a service dog.

Of course, if he hadnt died 2yrs ago, he'd be dead by now. Large dogs like him dont usually live past 12. (Tiny was 9 when he died)

IF I ever have to get a service dog, I'll be getting another dog of the same breed as TinyMonsters was. He was a Bouvier des Flandres. Best dog I've ever had, and probably the best breed of dogs that I've ever seen. (I do have a fondness for Pugs too, but Pugs probably would not make a good service dog)

I'm actually interested in learning how to train a service dog. I obedience trained TinyMonsters...had the best time in the world training with him. It's fun to learn how to train and teach a dog...and it was really great having a civilized 100+ pound dog. (if he hadnt been trained, I'd have probably been killed for his kibble by moving too slowly)

The only drawback at having a service dog would be the fact that large dogs do not live much more than a decade.

Tiny did sort of serve as a service dog for me. I have some weird phobias, and Tiny kept me from freaking out during a few scary moments (now I just have to deal with them on my own)...plus, he made me feel better when I had to stay home alone. 100+ pound dog that was extremely protective of me...I wasnt all that worried about anyone breaking into my bedroom while I was sleeping. I had 100 pounds of teeth and scary furry-ness sleeping next to the window.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote