Thread: Opinions please
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 03:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin524 View Post
If I still had my dog TinyMonsters (he died in March of 2006, less than a month before my right hip went numb...) I'd probably be training him to be a service dog.

Of course, if he hadnt died 2yrs ago, he'd be dead by now. Large dogs like him dont usually live past 12. (Tiny was 9 when he died)

IF I ever have to get a service dog, I'll be getting another dog of the same breed as TinyMonsters was. He was a Bouvier des Flandres. Best dog I've ever had, and probably the best breed of dogs that I've ever seen. (I do have a fondness for Pugs too, but Pugs probably would not make a good service dog)

I'm actually interested in learning how to train a service dog. I obedience trained TinyMonsters...had the best time in the world training with him. It's fun to learn how to train and teach a dog...and it was really great having a civilized 100+ pound dog. (if he hadnt been trained, I'd have probably been killed for his kibble by moving too slowly)

The only drawback at having a service dog would be the fact that large dogs do not live much more than a decade.

Tiny did sort of serve as a service dog for me. I have some weird phobias, and Tiny kept me from freaking out during a few scary moments (now I just have to deal with them on my own)...plus, he made me feel better when I had to stay home alone. 100+ pound dog that was extremely protective of me...I wasnt all that worried about anyone breaking into my bedroom while I was sleeping. I had 100 pounds of teeth and scary furry-ness sleeping next to the window.
Erin,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry that you lost Tiny...I have such a soft spot for animals...it's heartbreaking when you lose one.

I don't have children so when I have a pet (of any kind) I seem to go into mommy mode lol I spoil it rotten and usually end up going overboard at PetSmart lol

I've had people tell me that a service dog is just that...to serve and that I shouldn't expect to have one for protection. I guess I can understand that but like you, it would be comforting just having one with me when I go out alone. We live in a nice area but you never know what might happen. I'll admit I get worried sometimes when I do go to the store or wherever by myself and I'm wobbling (sp?) with a cane.

I would love to talk with you some more about Tiny, learn more about that kind of breed and how you were able to obedience train him. If you'd like PM me or send an email, maybe we can talk some.

I'm off to dream land now...have a good night!

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

suzyqz_2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote