View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink Oh, Thanks Doody...

We live in a very unusual place. Right in the center of just horrific city traffic and congestion. We live along a stream that goes thru SE Michigan many miles to empty in the St. Clair. We are like an Oasis.

Our area used to be owned by the Grand Trunk Railroad, back in late 1800's and very early 1900's. It was an employee park. So it has huge old oaks, which you can see behind Mrs QuackQuack. When Grand Trunk sold it, it became a housing development. Our home was built in 1915. The one next door is a new generation mega buck thing which occurs when the older homes are torn down.
So we still have quaint, and the largest yard in the whole area which I have naturalized over the years with lovely stuff. This home was owned by my husband's grandfather, and we bought it in 1976.
I am glad now I put in all that effort, to use self sustaining natural plantings, because now I am too arthritic to do as much as I used to.

All those little blue flowers are Scilla and we have much more than shows in the picture. In fact we have the equiv of a regular city lot, filled with them.
(we call it the "inner back yard" as opposed to the "outer" area of our 1/2 acre). It takes alot of raking of oak leaves to expose them. Hubby has just started that task this weekend.
My favorite spring flower is the Mertensia (Virginia Bluebells).. I have two large spreads of those as well. I'll take a pic of that when they bloom, in about 3 weeks. Everything is so late this year...the latest we have ever recorded living here for 38 yrs now.

The arrival of the ducks is always an event for us now. Soon the hummingbirds will be back, and I always look forward to that!

I have always been a nature gal...and all the living things sense that and come to me! LOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote