View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi I am new to this forum here but when I read this post I wanted to respond. Hope nobody minds! This is basically up my ally as it were! As I have taught my own service dogs for over 25 years.

Everybody has asked themselves the same questions "Am I sick or disabled enough to have a service animal"! "Am I worthy enough"!After asking this the next thing is what can a service dog / animal do for me? What are my needs? Or at least that is what one should ask themselves before just jumping right in.

You basically answered your own question in a way by stating why you need a service animal. (ie counter-balance so you do not fall or loose balance, alert and pick-up items that is hard for you to get, bracing if your in need of getting up in which a cane cannot move foward to pull you, etc.). Mobility Service Dog!

To answer this we have to go back to the question what is a service animal? What do they do for people with disabilities?
A Service animal is any animal that is individually trained to perform tasks to benefit an individual with a disability (the disabilities might not be visible). Their special training allows individuals with disabilities to be more independent. Types of service animals are but not limited to: Guides; Hearing; Mobility; Medical Alert/Respond; Psychiatric; Parkinson; etc.

Mobility Brace animals are taught to assist those with Muscular Dystrophy, Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, Congenital Abnormalities or any person with a balance problem. What can these dogs do for me? Whether be in a wheelchair, crutches, canes or walkers, the work of these dogs may include pulling, turning on and off lights, carrying objects, picking up dropped items after alerting to such (safety reasons), opening doors, and of course stabilizing a person as they rise from a seated position, or those whose balance is challenged in order to prevent a fall. Or assist in recovering from one.

So no you are not crazy to be thinking about having a service dog. Now is the right time to start thinking about whether or not one needs a service animal. What one's needs are in the now and what maybe in the future! As it takes time to train dogs to become service animals. (apprx. 15 months - 2 years for various tasks).

I have actually taught my dogs to counter-balance me when I am out and about. They feel the change in my body language even before I do and will either pull to the left front or to the back if need be. This way I will not fall or loose my balance. Also for any uneven level of the ground which could make me loose my balance or trip my dog would auto counter-balance. Also when I get down on the ground to get something I have majour issues getting up a cane cannot do it but my service dog is there to brace me. Using their upper shoulders to brace myself so I could get up either from the floor or off the bed, chair or couch. Bracing in various ways for the situation. Without my service dog I wouldn't be able to get up and to have somebody do it with out being taught could hurt them as well as me.
On Call 24/7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
suzyqz_2007 (04-11-2008)