View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 03:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan4you View Post
I am so glad we can be here when you received your diagnosis. ANd for a brief, fleeting moment it gave ME hope as I am 59 and STILL be diagnosed.

I do have docs who are trying. But now I think they are ONLY seeing a certain symptom and NOT the whole picture.

Take care and please know that WE care.
It was worth it!! I'll support YOU~!

Warmly, Jan

Jan, one thing I learned this past year is that DR.s not only will focus on a specific symptom, they will often see and fixate on another Dr.'s "impression" even after it is contradicted by tests.

Example: Mayo referral's impression included Bilateral Carpal Tunnel (he was convinced of this) and Peripheral Neuropathy. Both were ruled out...had been repeatedly in the past also, BUT, the DR.s after that saw that and that's what they said, "well you have.....PN and CTS."

Fortunately, to save time and trouble, I carry my own annotated copy of relevant records and could pull them out and say no, I don't, here are the Mayo EMG/NCV results...saves the Dr time, lol.

I had this happen too often, and with good Dr.s, but the more docs and tests and referrals are involved, and the bigger the time gaps between appointments, the easier it is for them to miss a page in your records, to inadvertantly fumble the ball, but that ball is our brain so we have to pick it up and run with it.

We have to not only have our own copies, we have to have read them BEFORE we see the DR. in case he hasn't seen them (like my 5 O Bands) so we can gently and respectfully get them SEEN!!

Back to seeing symptoms though, that paraprotein, lambda light chain thingy is what did me in last year, so I know what you mean...docs saw that and some of them forgot the big picture...ME!

Don't let them forget you.

Last edited by tante; 04-11-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: better spacing, easier reading, clarity
tante is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote