View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 06:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Defending the Handicapped - Me

Sometimes it comes down to speaking up.

I have mobility issues. I walk slow, I limp a little, I can stand but not for long periods of time.

I go to the bank on Fridays. There is handicapped parking in front of the building.

I park, get out of the car and walk slowly to the entrance. There is a man in his 50's also walking across the parking lot to go inside.

As I open the door, I stand in the doorway and hold the door for him.

I am INSIDE the bank holding the door. He grabs the door so I let go and continue to walk to the waiting rope.

No one is in line but there are two tellers and both have a person doing business. That means I would be next.

He walks quickly AROUND me and gets in line first!!!

I am doing a slow burn inside. At first, I think I will just let it go but it was too rude. He saw I parked in the handicapped, I walk SLOW so he should know I am not faking. Even without the handicap, it was inexcusable.

But becoming angry is wrong.

Speaking up is good for the soul.

He is making sure he looks everywhere but at me.

So in a nice conversational voice I said, "You must be in a very big hurry."

He immediately backed away and said "You can go in front of me."

"You must be in a very big hurry," I responded.

He made no apology. In fact, he rationalized his action by saying, "Well, the person with the longer stride gets to the line first."

!!!

He moves behind me, giving about 4-5 feet distance from me. I just continued to look at him, make him feel uncomfortable.

He tells me that he is really a good person. I just look at him. He may be a good person but he was not a good person at that moment. I had no inclination to let him off the hook. He made no apology for his action so there could be no forgiveness anyway.

When I get to the teller, another one next to me opens up as well. I let mine know what he did, loud enough for him to hear.

I was pleasant but I spoke up.

My hope is that he will think twice before walking around anyone ever again. Probably not but for today, maybe.
Aarcyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
froglady (04-13-2008), Kitty (04-12-2008), MelodyL (04-12-2008), prettypearlgirl (04-13-2008), tamiloo (04-17-2008), weegot5kiz (04-12-2008)