View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Arthritis runs strongly through my father's family (who I mainly am like...looks, build, etc.). I would say that's a strong possibility now that I'm 44...especially after the two rear-ends? Thanks for mentioning that because it's been lurking in the back of my mind.

I've really been watching myself this last week so I'd have something to report to y'all (you all really amaze me with your knowledge and sharing it). I'm beginning to think it's ALL my posture.

Being a co-admin at two websites, I'm online (especially reading and clicking) alot. With being right-handed, I lean continually on my left elbow so I can manipulate the mouse.

I'll never forget when I worked as a project coordinator at the last firm I worked for. I was on the phone most of my time there. I would write and lean on that left elbow again. I remember dealing with quite a bit of pain there on my left side, and was worried about it. It got better when I had to quit, but then I think I've traded for a new position leaning on that left side!

See I need to get a chair that doesn't have an arm on it and I think that will help me remember my posture. For instance, I pulled a kitchen chair into the livingroom computer and automatically, I don't know how many times, went to lean and nothing there so I adjusted myself another way. I was majorly surprised at how much I do that. When leaning on the arm of the chair, my shoulder gets pushed high up, elbow rests and hand then hangs. Doing this hours a day??? I really think that's it and why it mostly on the right side!

I have to say that I'm very relieved to think it's no so much my neck doing it all.

Now, with the feet...I don't know? It doesn't do it nearly so often, just sometimes when I'm on my feet a long time (i.e. hand washing dishes) on hard floor. Oh, and to walk the mall or something? Sometimes I can spasm so bad that it goes around front to feel like medium labor pains. These things aren't often, though, and are always relieved when I sit down and relax.

I walk alot...walking boys outside, etc. and it's not often that this happens. I've mainly noticed it on certain flooring, so I'm wondering if cushion insoles will help when I know I'm doing those certain things...the kind with shock absorbers and good cushion?

I really, reallyknow little about spine and back because I've been so blessed there. I've always been physically strong, and always taken advantage of that...realizing as I get older and in hindsight.

My husband has horrible issues with herniations, bulges and arthritis (with sciatica involvement), and my daughter has followed him at the tender age of 18 with two herniations and sciatica involvement. I can relate with nerve pain due to the TN, but can't imagine what my baby and her daddy goes through.

I really think my posture, mixed with the fibro, it causing alot of this. I'm going to give a good concerted effort to change my posture when at computer and get back to weightless exercise for the fibro (yoga and swimming).

I really let myself go this last year and a half when daughter was so ill...eating VERY poorly with no vitamins consistenly, very little sleep, extreme anxiety and stress, etc. Combined with that, and my not caring properly for myself, I think I'm paying the price and only I can change that part of it.

Part of that will be to follow-up with the spine doctor (as well as other doctors for checkups, etc.) and check into good computer posture.

I apreciate you guys so much! You helped me realize what I might be doing and have control over to change...feeling empowered is always a good thing...combining that with increased knowledge is great.

I can't thank you enough and will let you know!

KD

PS-If anyone has any information regarding computer posture, etc., please share. Also, knowing that it's such a huge habit, I wouldn't be opposed to buying a special chair or device. I've tried the special keyboards and hate them, but if they're that important, I'll get another one (it sounds like they're really important).

From the caterpillar emerged
~Strong in flight, beautiful to the eyes, movement laced with grace~
The butterfly
**KD**
</center>
kimmydawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote