View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 12:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gastric Bypass and steroids

Hi,
I also had gastric bypass surgery. We are not allowed to take (or rather not supposed to take) NSAID - which are "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs" - not steroids.

I was recently dx and have done 2 courses of IV steroids. I can't imagine not having done them - because I was seeing double, terribly dizzy, and the vertigo was out of control. The steroids knocked those symptoms out very quickly.

I've also done oral steroids (a few times - once for allergies, once for a bad case of bronchitis that wouldn't go away, and most recently as a taper to my first IV dose). I've not had ANY problems (related to the WLS or otherwise) due to the steroids.

I would suggest checking with your doctor re: not being allowed steroids. If you want to take them (and as you see, everyone has a different opinion on this), then you should double check if you are "Allowed" to. I wouldn't want you to rule out something that could help you (if you wanted it) because you thought you couldn't when in fact you could.

Also, just as we're not "supposed" to take NSAIDS (like advil - ibuprofen, etc.) - I take them and have no problems. I'm told that the reasoning for not taking them is because of possibility of developing an ulcer and/or ruining the lining of our new pouches.

Good luck - and I hope you feel better from this flare...

~Keri
RedPenguins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote