View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 02:03 AM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Hi Lucky,

As Shiney Sue says - welcome to our group.... how awful to be sick that long and have your symtoms just shrugged off and ignored.... and to suffer so much.... at least the med is helping you some now - and thats good to hear...

Yes, many of us (and I'm sure they will post) - have had continuing nightmares with trying to get corrrect diagnosis - been dismissed by doctors - and had to fight unnecessarily just to get help... or are still unable to get it....

You asked about nerve damage to throat - I have both peripheral and autonomic neuropathy and the docs have given me different diagosis over the years - but I had to fight my HMO like crazy in the beginning just to get to see a neurologist... I dont know if at least the fact I had PN right when it started would have made a difference - but have been sick for 8 years now - and need a wheelchair to go out due to severe loss of balance, etc... The autonomic neuropathy has damaged my intestines (not in the same way it doesnt sound like you - I dont start coughing) - but my stomach has stopped "digesting" due to the nerve damage and I've lived on liquids only for seven years - still am losing weight, constantly nauseus - and can completely identify with not wanting to "hurl" on others... I take tons of meds to try to help my stomch digest - but like you - the damage is done I fear - and my best hope is to continue to be able to survive on liquids by mouth.....

You have a good attitude - we cant change what was or wasnt done in the past - but have to continue to fight for good medical care for ourselves.... I cant believe that you were given the anesthesia twice when you had the reaction the first time... thats awful... one thing I've done and others here to do - make sure your doc and anesthesioloigst know about your reactions and that you do have neuropathy before any surgery.... personally I've had lots of very dangerous drug reactions and also find that anesthesia takes much longer to get out of my system then before I got sick.... (I always call the hospital prior to a surgery to talk personally to the anesthesiologist)

Hang in there - and welcome to our community....
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote