View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
May I ask you some questions?

Do you lose your voice? Especially when you talk for a long period or get excited or try to yell? Is either side of your vocal cords paralyzed?
(this can be seen on exam).

Do you have any thyroid disease? Do you take any blood pressure drugs?

Sulfonamides are capable of causing nerve damage in a small number of people.
Did you have any allergic sysmptoms like rash/redness over the trunk of the body, or asthma/shortness of breath? Was the drug stopped or did you continue it.?
First, thank you so much for the welcome. I intend to be a permanent, and hopefully contributing member to this site. Just wish I had found it sooner!

Now to the questions: No, I never lost my voice, and there was no paralization of the vocal cords......and yes, I've often wondered if the sulfa drug triggered the PN. I do not have thyroid disease.....I do have high blood pressure and take hydrochlorot. I had no OBVIOUS allergic symtoms to the sulfa drug, and yes the drug was stopped immediately. My coughing came on as suddenly as the pain. I can not eat without water or carbonation.....I drink a lot of club soda......and I can no longer eat foods such as popcorn, nuts, rough grains.......even with carbonation my coughing is still triggered. Other easy triggers are strong smells......perfume, smoke, cleaning solvents, and last but not least the PN symtom that comes out of the blue in sharp, stabbing pain is an automatic trigger for the cough....my whole life I've had ongoing sinusitis....tested negative for allergies and asthma many times.......in any event to this day my symptoms worsen when I have a case of sinusitis.......especially the cough. After my coughing seizures I am exhausted, and very congested. Clearing my throat, lungs upwards to an hour after an attack. The attacks have been so strong that at times I thought I'd burst from the inside out........and as I've said, I do vomit. I'm also taking alprazolam (xanax)....that's suppose to motivate/calm me to take on the world again.....cymbalta.....to help me cope with 18 years of illness with no treatment, meloxicam for pain, and last but not least.....wonderful, marvelous gabapentin....it helps me the most I think......I've also been in counseling for two years now.....trying to deal with the past 18 years, and yes I try to have a good attitude, but I'm getting help with it......I'm very thankful to my therapist who tries to show me how to cope, and doesn't give up on me......my family.......but the Doctors......well they have not made the list ......yet......
*Abigail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote