View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb hydrochlorothiazide

is related to sulfonamides. If one is allergic to sulfa, a reaction can come from the HCTZ.

This sounds spastic...more like a spasm than anything else.

One thing that happens when you take diuretics is that you can become magnesium deficient. Low magnesium will encourage spasms, anywhere.

Swallowing involves the esophagus...have you been scoped? Probably not if you cannot be intubated.

I am amazed that the medical community cannot help you swallow. Now they use botox to relax certain muscles...has this be offered to you?

I know the feeling of strong flavors making you cough. Even my husband does it...with pickles.

Have you tried gargling with lidocaine before eating? This is often done for chemo patients who receive radiation to the neck/esophagus. This then numbs it and makes it easier to eat/swallow. (sometimes the lidocaine is swallowed, but a doctor decides that). Also inhaled steroids for asthma may help. Some of the drug gets deposited higher in the airway, and does not reach the lungs. This may provide some anti-inflammatory action to relax whatever is triggering you. The gag reflex is very sensitive in some people..and can become Learned in rare cases. So numbing it may help. I know some of my supplements are really huge pills, and if I think about them, when I take them, I don't do very well. Many people cannot swallow large capsules/tablets for this reason.

Where is this pain located when you cough? In the throat?

I'm sorry but I have some problems understanding.

Sinus infections can be due to fungal organisms. Candida mostly. Have you had a workup to locate what organisms are causing your grief?

It does sound exhausting and incapacitating, to me. I don't know how you cope with it. Really.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote