View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 08:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Yannimac,

There are two reasons why I don't think that exercise (and increased heart rate/blood to the brain) is the trigger for PCS in my case.

First, I don't get any symptoms at all if I do certain types of exercise (eg swimming) which get my heart rate up but don't including any jarring vibrations.

Also, I can get PCS if I am subject to certain types of jarring vibration when I'm not exercising.

I saw a neurophysiologist in Sydney 10 days ago about my problems with PCS.

He wants me to deliberately trigger it, then he'll run some tests (EEG) to determine the impacts on brain function enabling him to consider the best course of action. That is, the results from the EEG will help him design an appropriate cognitive therapy program for me. ... (This is my "lay persons" description of what he was saying - i think i've got it right...)

I am fortunate in the sense that I am able to avoid activities which trigger the PCS, but then again it is getting to the point whereby this is limiting my physical activities a bit too much (not being able to go running or cycling is frustrating to say the least!!).

I have to make a decision as to whether I go down the 'cognitive therapy' track, or simply avoid actions which trigger the PCS.

All the best -

Tony H

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannimac View Post
I have a similar problem. My head is also "clear" now for the most part, but when I exercise it will bring back the symptoms. Are you certain this is a result of the vibrations/impact while running or cycling? Could it be just the fact that you are exercising and increasing you heart rate and sending more blood to the brain? Have you tried a stationary bike or other non-impact aerobic exercise and does that result in the same symptoms? I have been trying to figure out why this happens to me for the last year. The doctors I have seen are clueless, but it seems as though it might be a result of something vascular relating to cerebral blood flow which changes with aerobic activity. I am still trying a few things like neurofeedback, although I have only done 5 sessions so far - seems promising for things like controlling anxiety, but I dont know if it will solve my exercise problems. If neurofeedback does not solve this problem, I may eventually look into HEG feedback which measures the blood flow in the brain and allows you to regulate it based on real-time feedback.
Tony H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote