View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MaryC

I have been diagnosed for 7 years, but my PD symptoms are still pretty mild. One of the things I do experience when my meds are running low (about the closest thing I have to an "off") is what I call my "shuffle step", more correctly, festination. This is most likely to happen early in the morning before meds take hold, or late in the afternoon when I forget my p.m. meds. It always responds to sinemet meds.
I take one-half a 25/100 sinemet generic at the same time as a 50/200 CR sinemet generic twice a day. If I am attentive to when I take them; first dose upon rising, second dose at 4-5 p.m.; I can usually avoid "Mr. Shuffles".
I also take 100mg amantadine in the a.m., and 300 mg CoQ10 three times a day (with meals). I am also a strong believer in dextromethorphan, of which I take 4-5 mg every night at bedtime. This is in the form of a pediatric over-the-counter cough medicine, Pedia Care, which contains 7.5 mg of the drug per 5 cc (one teaspoon). I take between one-half to two-thirds of a teaspoon of the cough syrup each night. I think it has something to do with the very slow progression (if any) that I am experiencing. It may be providing significant neuroprotection. I know others on this forum who are also taking either dextromethorphan at this low dose, or naltrexone, a similar drug. I am not recommending that anyone take either one, since it is my (our) own "white rat" adventure.
Can you share what meds, if any, you presently take?
Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote