View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Re: Emotional/Service/Training Gray Areas?

After posting yesterday, I looked up what I could find on this topic. It would appear that there IS legal precedent for dogs referred to as "emotional support" animals being recognized as service dogs, as referenced in a 2006 article in the New York Times. Since I have fewer than 10 posts, it won't let me post the link, but it's easily googled or searched through the NYTimes website. Keywords "emotional support animal NY Times" will put it at the top of the list.

I also slogged through ADA law (as opposed to the summarized guidelines) and could not find anything against the designation of emotional support animals as service animals. I also don't find anything saying calling an emotional support animal a service dog is against the law, or that Social Security benefits would be affected in any case. Of course, I do not want to get into a whole thing about who is worthy and who is faking, please. But where are people here getting the legal precedent that it is NOT an appropriate designation?
Wolfster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote