Thread: Rdi...
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2006, 01:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

>>>>Thank you for giving me Amy's name and info.
I really hope you'll get in touch with her asap.

>>>>We are in intensive, but I find it to be glorified babysitting really. There is not much in the way of progress being made. We continue so we can get the post intensive.

Well, can't you do RDI during intensive instead of what you're doing now? I don't consider RDI any less intensive than in home therapy (assuming that's what you're doing) but I don't know the guidelines for intensive versus post intensive...so I'm just thinking out loud here.

>>>>My thought was that I would get trained in RDI and we, as a family would implement it and I would be able to instruct the 'therapists' that do come in to follow my lead.

Actually, not only could you do that, but the therapists or family or teachers or anyone that will be working with your son or living with your son, can be a part of the training. YEP!!! Pretty cool, huh? Everyone I asked to come this weekend, had already made plans (teachers). I understand, that's fine and all, but had they come, they'd have been a part of everything rather than me having to reitterate things said by the consultant. The MORE people you have on the RDI track with your son, the better.

>>>>I don't want to wait 9 more months to start with RDI, I feel like we've wasted enough time with all the other junk that hasn't worked.

I don't blame you. Again, see if you can switch from what you're doing to RDI. I can't imagine why the state would say no, cause RDI is so much cheaper - which I know good and well money means more to the state than our children.

>>>>How long did the RDA take? Was it a one day deal?
Look above in my previous post, read everything in my post that is in bold. But it is done over a period of three days, much of it is video taped. It's the first time I ever felt he even was assessed...not just his behaviors, but HIM.

>>>>And can you tell me what you liked about Amy? I know you don't have anyone to compare her to in the RDI realm, but what impressed you about her, her experience, knowledge, do you have complete confidence that she knows the program and really understood how to apply it to Vince? It's all such a stab in the dark, I could pick a name off the list and not have any clue who I'm getting, so any info you can give me, is great and I don't think you are trying to sway me, just giving me your opinion which I appreciate.
Thanks for any input! Sorry to raid the thread!

Initially I picked Amy because she was certified (twice) and had been doing RDI for some time so I knew she wasn't new to it. I am new to it, and wanted someone with solid experience. I spoke to her, and a couple others in Illinois near her, for the same reasons as I chose her to interview. I preferred a place with more than one RDI consultant, and this is recommended by Dr. Gutstein - so they can sort of sound off to eachother, if they get 'stuck' with your kid (oversimplified explanantion)...but she is not a part of a group. But, she was the only one I spoke to, that really seemed to get ME - which I was not even looking for that. It's really odd to me, how she can say what I'm thinking, and knows how my head works when I didn't even know that's how my head was working. Cause she GETS AUTISM. I was also impressed, that she even knew I was on the spectrum, cause since I know how to 'behave', most people do not. I have only rarely been pegged as being on the spectrum. Also, she raised three boys of her own, for me that is a qualification in and of itself, had she not been a mother, she can't understand certain things about me...kind of like how priests give marital advise (what?). There are many things Vince does that is a boy thing that to me seems like "oh my God, what is wrong with him?" but it's just a boy thing. Not only does she get me, she clearly gets Vince...and ya know what? She gets Vince BETTER than ME. I've never experienced that. And, she knows how to word things so I get what she's explaining. And, willing free of charge, to explain things to me via email or on the phone, until I understand. I couldn't tell you if I have a personal liking of her, I suppose so, but that's just not how my mind works....I can tell you that she is a rare individual whose soul matches her profession. Her morals and heart and soul and brain/intellect are a perfect match to working with people on the spectrum. She flows with nt to asd then asd to nt translations as fluently as a bilingual person does from spanish to english and back. She gets me, and Vince, and Carmen, and mr. nt himself dh. She gets what we don't get about eachother, and explains it. She sat there and explained stuff to dh, that I've tried to for 10 years - I can only give him an asd explanation, she gives him two sentences and he's like Ohhhhhh. And I'm thinking, "didn't I say that!!!" And visa versa. She explained stuff to me about what dh has been saying and I was like Ohhhh and he was like "didn't I say that!!!". The best part of course, is that she not only explains Vince to us, but explains how to HELP HIM to be able to think for himself, understand others for himself, be independant....ya know, I just don't know how to answer why I like Amy, I think because she is in the right job, has the right way of thinking for working between folks that are nt and asd and can't get eachother, and cause I feel a faith in her as our consultant. I see her often doing above and beyond what she needs to, the website she created for her patients, all the stuff she'll do free of charge if you get stuck, and I've never caught a 'hole' or any illogic in her advice or words or suggestions. I know there will be a consultant starting soon in Madison, I know her from when we first moved here and think the world of her, but I'd rather drive three hours there and back, and do the long distance thing with Amy, cause I have faith in her, in what she can do for my son, for our family. The lady starting in Madison is GREAT, I love her to pieces as a person, but I don't feel the belief in her ability in RDI like I do with Amy, who has and continues to prove herself to us.

Ok, gotta go! I'm sure you can choose any number of consultants with success. As for me, even on the initial phone calls when I was considering a few, she stood out. Now that I work with her, I know why. She's just acceptional. I can't recommend her highly enough. But that may also be cause she and I have simular goals for Vince???? She might not get along with say a parent that wanted to 'expel' the autism and turn out a perfectly mannered 'nt' robot...know what I mean? I'm thinking about everyone here has the same goals as me though. We all just want our kids to be HAPPY, be able to make a few good true friends, have a good life, independance, a family of their own someday, a fulfilling job and personal life. That kind of thing.

Mili
Milivica is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote