View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Jo:

I did check the speaker thing on the bottom of the task bar. I wanted to make sure it was not set to MUTE. It was not.

And there is no sound from anywhere.

I'll probably go in that house sometime today or tomorrow.

I'll teach her how to put it on standby.

I was wondering, when I pressed the half moon thing on the keyboard, why it didn't go into sleep mode.

Then I did the search in help in the Vista main menu and there was an option that said "

"How come I can't put my computer to sleep"?

Sure enough it said that it could be that it's not configured (or something like that).

Want to know what I find funny?

Years ago, (20) computers were much easier. They were plug and play, and you just went on the internet.

TODAY, HOLY COW, You have to learn a whole bunch of stuff.

I'm looking at my landlord's daughter (who had the speaker problem) and she can go on the internet but she has never downloaded stuff, (she knows absolutely nothing about drivers, etc..

Oh, here's a funny (true) story.

About 3 years ago, when she first got the older computer (it was brand new at the time). well for whatever reason, it kept shutting down and restarting.

so of course, they called me into their basement (where they live, and keep the computer). They own the house they live in, and they also own my house.

So I go down and there is this computer that would not stay on. I kept scratching my head and because they had dsl, I phoned the computer people.

They told me, "you have a worm". A trojan, (or something to that effect).

Now picture this. I'm in a basement filled with 50 people having coffee and cake. The whole italian family was there and NO ONE KNEW ANYTHING WHATSOEVER ABOUT COMPUTERS. They had just bought one in case their grandkids came over.

So I'm on the phone with the computer people and I'm being told "You might have a worm". So I exclaimed:

"I have a worm in the computer????"

Well, when one of the english speaking people in the house translated that THE COMPUTER HAS WORMS IN IT....

You should have seen the look on the faces of the people over the age of 60.

They started backing away from the computer. My landlord's mother kept saying to me in italian.

This thing has worms??? Where are the worms?? I don't see any worms"

I had to get the computer guy to explain to me what the heck a worm was.

Then I had to translate the whole thing as best I could (with the help of the other english speaking person).

To this day, everyody else in that place (except for the younger ones) have never gone near that computer.

They think it was infected with worms.

I will never forgot the laugh I had that day. And believe me, no one else in that room was laughing.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (04-14-2008)