Thread: Hearing Loss?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Nancy T

Quote:
Tante, do they attribute your hearing loss to MS? Or something else? Have they ruled out AIED (autoimmune inner ear disease)? Have you had blood tests to rule that out? Do steroids help your hearing loss? Do you have any family history of hearing loss?
It has, for the past several years, and to some extent before that, been associated primarily, with my other neurological deficits/disorders....now diagnosed as MS.

One referral did feel it was due to a hereditary disease that would cause deafness and blindness...did no testing to support this, and NO relatives on either side lost hearing till quite old, and visual problems in family other than mine, are all due to aging eyes. The dr. that sent me to this person was really PO'd by the off the wall and unsubstantiated dx that took nothing below my neck into consideration

I have only had steroids twice, in o6, and I lost a tad bit more hearing then, and then have been on them now since November (tapering off) with no improvement in that regard.

I really don't know about the blood test, I have had a BAER which is abnormal.
I have never had tinnitus or dizziness though ...sounds as though it should go with AIED.

I know hearing impairment is not a typical MS symptom, but I was told degree of loss when it does occur can vary and mine has taken some time to get this bad with the major changes occuring, as in '05, with a nightmare episode /flair.

Quote:
Can you get a cochlear implant? Do you have an audiologist who is knowledgeable and helpful about assistive hearing technology?
I was told no, that they weren't for my type of neurosenseral (sp?) loss, but I just did a quick search, and I don't see why not might ask again.

As for audiologists....so, so. I have $6,000.00 worth of computers in my ears, and have them adjusted real regularily. I also have amplifiers on 2 phones, a vibrating alarm clock, 2 weather alarm units, a dog who lets me know when there are people at the door. and a hubby who is used to "yelling" sweet nothings in my ear
the Bird (04-14-2008)