View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lynlee

The neurophysiologist I saw is confident this type of jarring is not physically damaging the brain.

What is happening is that after we damage the brain (initial accident) neurons must communicate in a different way to by-pass the damaged neurons. This method of communicating is, however, less efficient in a brain that has not been damaged.

What is happening is that jarring activity now triggers a change in the way neurons communicate (from efficient to inefficient) even though the activity has not actually caused any physical damage to the brain.

Cognitive therapy encourages efficient communication between neurons and therefore (hopefully) it will reverse the symptoms.

This is just my interpretation of what the neurophysiologist was saying - I think i've got it right but when I summarised what he was saying he looked totally confused!!

Best regards,

TOny H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Hi Tony H,

I agree about the jarring - I have had pcs for coming up 7 years now and have found that any shaking, jarring vibration of my head will bring on the symptons. (Excessive exercise has done the same - like extreme excessive like absolutely forcing myself to continue.)

With the jarring - going over a judder bar in the road too quickly has done it for me - I was amazed - it is the first time that I actually "registered" that it caused it. Of course whiplash can cause concussion so this really does follow on from that.

I don't see how any cognitive therapy can cure this so I will be very interested to hear more from you about this. How can changing the way you think help the brains physical reaction? It is like wearing a helmet - a helmet will not stop your brain shaking inside your skull.

For quite some time I have been under the impression that my brain needs a stabiliser. My balance is not what it used to be either.

Another thought that I have had in the past is that I am far more comfortable driving myself than being driven and if I am being driven by somebody in a manual car I find this incredibly jerky (lousy driver maybe) - I am not a control freak and have put it down to the fact that hanging onto the steering wheel is maybe not as jerky or perhaps having more expectation of the jerks - this does sound weird sorry!

I no longer play tennis and don't run. I now do a lot of walking and some gym work is ok.

Lynlee
Tony H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote