View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am an IRL (took me several tries to figure out what that meant LOL) MS SHG leader. (In Real Life Multiple Sclerosis Self-Help Group leader) and I pray I never talk with a person considering going to a MS SHG like that leader did.

I have gone through some extensive training with the NMSS and when I can no longer follow their guidelines I will step down.

But I will never sugar coat MS for anyone. It is what it is. There is hope for everyone and that is what I concentrate on when I talk with a new caller and/or someone who has been in our group. We vary from the very able to the very disabled both in cognitive and physical sense.

If that SHG doesn't seem a good fit for you call the NMSS 1-800-FIGHT-MS and see if there are any other groups in your area. Also, if that leader is affiliated with the NMSS then please share your concerns with your local chapter.

I'm sure you know as a SHG leader yourself you will never be able to meet everyone's needs all the time.

Good luck, let me know if I can help you find a local group for you.
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-21-2011), tante (04-15-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (04-15-2008)