View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant r View Post
It's true that I have slowed, but I take it as an intellectual challenge, that is, how can I be more efficient, or work in a new way in order to complete things in a shorter amount of (or the same amount as I used to ) time. I refuse to be critical of myself because of my "obstacle". Frustrated, sometimes... but critical, not ever. I have also found that slower is often better for some things... Of course, I know that I am still at the beginning of this, so I am sorry if I'm coming off as arrogant. I know it will get harder. I have just become determined since my diagnosis to be positive and try to stay positive.
I call it compensating for the inability to perform a task like I used to. This happens with age anyway PD or not. Unfortunately, we face this challenge sooner than the rest of the population.

I'm critical of myself because I see the failure greatest in my piano technique especially. This has suffered tremendously with the changes in my abilties like the way rain errodes a statue or mountain. I'm not even close to where I was a year ago, and I thought that was bad then. Oh give me what I had in 200, and I'd be even more pleased, but alas, this isn't the case. The daily mundane tasks like getting washed and dressed don't bother me so much unless I'm in a rush, but then I should've known better and allowed myself more time. I'm learning the hard way on this one!

We continuously compensate, learn new ways of doing old things, and eventually we run out of ways of doing the old things. That's when the frustration sets in since I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to the music because I'm compensating for poor technique, and this can cause further problems down the road with fingering and other musical issues. It's not that I go into fits when there's a mistake here and there, it's when there is a mistake in every measure, that I get frustrated. When my fingers can't repeat notes rapidly so I lose time, which is the most critical component of music outside of the sound of the instrument, that I get myself in a snit. There are other things that happen as well, but I won't go into details here.

You don't come across as arrogant or naive. You are just taking this better than I as I'm also at the beginning stage as well.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote