View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Foot Drop Stinks!

My right foot has stopped cooperating with my brain and I just need to vent. I used to have occasional foot drop, but it's happening more frequently and frustrating beyond belief!

I hate looking like I'm clumsy or drunk when I'm out in public! (At home I'm just entertaining when I'm like that!) I've gotten away with being one of the "but you look so good" people for so long that I'm spoiled. I don't want people to see that I have MS.

Yesterday I was leading a Weight Watchers meeting and when I walked across the room I nearly fell when my right foot decided to stay put. I didn't have the courage to look at the members to see their reaction--I was too embarrassed. So I carried on and, when I was leaving the meeting, the same thing happened.

I know that it's hardly the end of my mobility, but I'm frustrated beyond belief. My cane is cute & named "Duke" (the handle is a Boxer dog's head), but I guess I'm too vain to use it unless absolutely necessary.

How can I reconcile my foot drop and my vanity? That question probably falls more in the rhetorical vein, since there's no good answer. Seriously, though, does anyone have a good strategy for handling foot drop and/or the reaction to it?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Darah

In the long run, men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high.--Henry David Thoreau
dshesq is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NurseNancy (09-06-2011)