View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Darah,

I have learned to handle drop foot with a sense of humor, even while in public. It has been one of the most effective tactics that I have employed. Even my clients tell me that they vacumm the carpet before our meetings so that I do not trip on any dust. They get it....and therefore so should I.

I used to walk 9-12 miles per day in the desert doing biological surveys for my clients, and now either use a cane after a few hundred yards, ride a big scooter to do the surveys or ride a Suzuki Quadrunner to get across my project sites. My clients and most other people see this as my way of acclimating to MS changes. They have all said, independently, that if I just gave up it would show that I have no "spine" and was too vien.

Hence, acclimating is a very positive thing. And, when people understand why you are doing what you do, they are amazed generally.

Drop foot does suck, but giving in to it is even worse in my opinion. Acclimate and adapt new strategies...it breeds success and confindence, even when you fall. Don't let anything stop you.

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NurseNancy (09-06-2011)