View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
So, what would you have done in my predicament . . .

I'm walking outside the mall this morning, and I look down and spot a $50 bill on the ground. I snatch it up, and immediately look ahead of me to see if anyone has just passed over that patch of ground. Up ahead about 40 ft is a gentleman, about my age.

I approach him as he is entering the mall, and ask him if he happens to have lost any money? He checks his pockets and says "yeah, I think so". I said "how much?". He says "at least $20". I said "sorry, wrong amount".

He see's me glance at the money, which is a bright pink (our notes are colored green for $20, pink for $50). In fact what I had found was two $50's, but he didn't see that . . .

I walk around the mall a little, feeling slightly guilty about the find, especially since I thought I lost my wallet with $100 in it this morning. I hadn't, fortunately.

So, as I am leaving the mall, he and his daughter (or wife?) approach me and say, "that was our money after all". I said "hmmmm.... what to do now?" (out loud). I was more then happy to give it back to him originally, but now???

I said "ok, how much was it?". He says "at least 2 X $50".

What would you have done?

Cherie
I would have given him the money. I would like to assume he is being honest especially since he got the amount right. I figure he probably had time to check more thoroughly and figure out what was missing.

Also, I don't think I could have kept it and spent it anyway. If he was lying, he has to live with his conscience, but mine would be clear.

Take me back to days full of monkeyshines
Bouncin' on a bubble full of trouble in the summer sun
Keep your raft from the riverboat
Fiction over fact always has my vote
And wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...

Jimmy Buffett from "Barefoot Children in the Rain"

hollym is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (04-16-2008), ewizabeth (04-16-2008), Jodylee (04-16-2008), kinch52 (04-16-2008), Kitty (04-16-2008), lady_express_44 (04-16-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (04-16-2008)