Thread: Low potassium
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 02:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am the same as well - even with a supplement and eating several bananas a day I am still just barely reaching a "normal" potassium level. My muscles get very fatigued if I don't keep on top of the potassium and I also get bad muscle cramping in my legs and feet. Strangely enough it wasn't even a doctor who initially pointed out the potassium - MG connection to me. A neighbour and I figured it out when I wasn't teaching over the summer last year and stopped eating bananas (because I wasn't packing a lunch to eat at school everyday). I had a few bad days and a few falls and then started to really contemplate what I had changed about my diet/lifestyle - it all came down to those little yellow treasures!

I'm also taking calcium supplements to help with the effects of the Pred. I've been on a 60 mg dose for almost 4 months now (I'm very, very swollen and "moon faced") and before that was on 60 mg every second day for 2 months. My symptoms seem to be under control for the time being - still have the odd weak spell, but much better than I was - so I'm hoping I'll be able to start weaning off the Pred soon. My doctor comes back from vacation this week and I can't wait to speak to her!!

Hope everyone is taking care!
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote