View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, I didn't really do the "right" thing, to be honest. That's what's bugging me about this. I'll explain why though . . .

When I spotted the money, there was no one close by. I saw the guy ahead, by himself, but didn't even see if he came the route I did.

He stopped to have a cigarette out front, so that was how I was able to catch up with him. He looked like a nice man, clean shaven, well-to-do, etc. I figured he'd be honest.

When I first asked him, he didn't even really check his pockets properly, but he answered "yeah I think I did (lose some money)" . . . I guess thinking that I would just hand it over with no further question. When I asked "how much?", he said "at least $20". That kinda left it wide open, cause if I had two or three $20's in my hand, he had that covered too (maybe a few blew away or something by the time I found it). But, that he said $20's, I knew I had the wrong person and flashed the $50. He did check his pockets before I left though (the convo wasn't really quick or anything).

It was too far to walk to the administration, but my plan was to call them to let them know in case someone came there later . . .

Then, as I am walking out, he (and his wife) approach me, and he has a bit of a song and dance about an exchange of money between them . . . so that's why he didn't know it was missing. My first thought is "how convenient, he knows I have at least one $50, so he can guess anything over one and still claim it's his", right? He was very cagey when I asked how much again, his wife walked away . . . and he covered any/all possibilities with "at least two fifties". So, if I found 4,6, or 10, it could be his . . . or if I found only one, he could have claimed the others "must have blown away", or whatever. He had plenty of time to think through that strategy . . .

So, what I did is split the difference with him. I told him that I was more then happy to give it all to him originally (which many people would have just pocketed it to begin with), but that no matter what I opted at that point I wasn't going to be comfortable.

Now I have this $50 that is making me feel like I stole something. I don't think I have HIS money, to be honest, but I have somebody's (and PERHAPS his).

I should have just gone to the adminstration, so that's why I am posting this as a lesson for others perhaps. Live and learn.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
sugarboo (04-16-2008), Twinkletoes (04-16-2008)