View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 01:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HURRAY that Toby is peeing in the kitchen!!!! (where, I presume, you don't have carpet??

I would do two things...

One, I would buy a pack of Doggie Wee Wee pads at WalMart for bigger dogs and place one in the kitchen and BRAG on him if uses it. (that is, if you have been fussing at him and he has gotten to acting all guilty and cringing)

Second, I would buy a bottle or two of enzyme pet odor elimator - try to get the concentrate where you mix it with slightly warm water, and UNSCENTED (for I find all the scented ones I have used to be nauseating and long-lasting).

Then, if you are unable to crawl on your hands and knees, sniffing every bit of carpet or wood floor for where your dad's dog peed, then get someone to help out. At every spot, saturate it well with the solution and then place plastic wrap or foil over the spot and something to hold it in place well (for like 12-24 hours) so the place will not dry out. Be sure (sniff test) to saturate every last area with any odor. I would carry around a plastic bucket full of solution with me.

It may have been undignified for me to crawl about, nose an inch or two over the carpet, rear in the air
, but the end results were always worth it. (especially when moving into an apartment with cat pee in the carpet. Now THAT is nasty.)

The enzyme will totally breakdown and destroy all remnants of the urine, removing it as a trigger for Toby.

You see, a foreign dog, and intruder, came into Toby's home territory and went about marking Toby's home as his own -- And Toby's wetting inside is quite possibly his way of re-asserting that this is HIS home. But (if so) he is really being quite the good dog by not tinkling on every last spot where the other dog marked.

Of course, Toby COULD have a medical problem -- like a urinary tract infection or something. Is he peeing a lot more often than before? Does he seem in any discomfort, appear tense and edgy, when he goes nowadays?

I would not do any correcting of him. He is a terrier and that just doesn't sound the way to handle this.... and anyway, if it because of your Dad's dog or because of illness, either way Toby has no control over it. One is instinctual, the other would be an irritated inflamed bladder.

If all else fails, the only way is to go back to crating him when he is indoors. May take weeks, but the end result will be worth it. Or live life with wee-wee pads. And be thankful he sticks to the kitchen floor!

Here is hoping that you and Toby are living more happily together soon.
- Theresa

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 10-16-2006 at 02:00 AM. Reason: left out something
OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote