Thread: revision in NY
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default new surgeon, date picked for AP fusion with cages

On Gloria's advice, I made and appt with Dr Bitan, who surprsingly, saw me the day after I filled out the online request for an appt. Of the three surgeons I've talked to, he gave the clearest and most believables scenario of what would happen if I did not have surgery.

As I have zero fusion at L3/4/5, I am held up by two titanium rods. I have 4 or 5 loose screws. He says that surgery is elective as to time, but is inevitable. The hardware has to fail, as it was not make to withstand the pressure of my upper body. The rods could break, or the vertebrae could break, and either would be excruciating. The screws could break. It could be a mess. It might not happen for years and years, maybe decades, but it will happen.

I believe him.

He did not want me to have a discogram to find my pain generator (thank goodness). Instead, he said an EMG, and if that's not helpful, selective nerve root blocks. But the neuro who did the EMG and the one I usually see both say the pain is from L4 clinically, and they do not see a need to extend the fusion down, nor to do anymore localization procedures. They say the location of the pain says it all: buttock to FRONT of thigh, stops at knee. Both said only L4 does that.

So, it's June 19 at Lenox Hill. College kids home for the summer, so I won't be alone.

If recovering from this differs from a straight posterior fusion, I'd like all advice about preparations for surgery anyone has to offer.

thanks all.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote