View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neuro Visit in Melbourne - thanks Brian & Megan

Just a note to thank you all for your comments and suggestions for my recent neuro visit, which I had today. In particular, thank you Brian & Megan herein Oz. The neuro had a reasonable bed-side manor, and did a fairly good examination of me. I had my temperature-threshold-tests already with me, and he agrees that it is possible that I have small-fibre-neuropathy, as remarked in the test results. But he was not definitive.

He suggested two other tests - response to sugar consumption, and a further blood test. Sorry, I can't recall the offcial name for these tests. I was pleased he suggested the "response-to-sugar" test.

He remarked that even in the USA, where the Mayo clinic can do many more tests, that even then only about 30% of small-fibre cases find a cause. Not sure if others here have heard the same or not.

He mentioned drugs like neurontin. I ask whether such drugs can make symtoms (burning) worse if one decides to come-off the drug later on. He seemed to discount that suggestion, but I am aware that people here have mentioned this effect, so I felt he may have his head in the sand on that one.

Anyway, I'll keep my progress posted. And contribute here where I can.

Best Wishes
Steve
kiewa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Megan (04-21-2008)