View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default imark..

i'm glad that you brought this out, i would never have found it because i'm not looking at this stuff any more. But when stuff like this comes to my attention, i immediately find out all i can about the subject from both objective and bias sources. First of all, and this is standard procedure, look up what inosine is, what it does biochemically, find sources which support exactly what the stated researcher has in mind. Is there a lot of prior evidence to show that inosine fits in anywhere in the so far developed theories, which would suggest that inosine does ANYTHING more than marginally slow down PD. If it looks lame, it's probably a crab, and inosine looks LAME.
Remember, the idea of such grants are to go to top scientists in the field (scientists not related by any form of "nepotistic" affinity to the grantees, who themselves are supposed to be at the top of their fields and non-biased or in any way skewed to thinking only in terms of their life's research), for PROMISING NEW IDEAS that will lay bare the etiology of PD so that real biomechanisms of DA neuron compromisation and destruction can be found to guide other researchers, "in for the kill".
When i gave this subject my best perusal, (and i am somewhat qualified as a retired senior research chemist/biochemist), hooked what i learned with what i believe i know to be true, with any anecdotal evidence, the whole thingjust looked like "someone to throw some of this pile of cash to ,to make it look like we are using up our budget. Coming from pharma lane, it smelled too me like this kind of a boondoggle. I have seen many hopeful projects get underfunded by this kind of money grab, by people who are "closer and more connected to the source of grant money.
It's my opinion, only a "gut feeling", that from reading the literature that i found, this really is a "crab".
Last of all, and perhaps most meaningless is the fact that I have been hyperuricemic (actually early onset gout), my whole life, so that a high level of serum urate didn't protect me in anyway from getting young onset PD
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
grant r (04-17-2008), imark3000 (04-17-2008), lou_lou (04-18-2008), Thelma (04-17-2008)