View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks for Your Responses

Thanks to my father and the rest of you for your responses. After 3 years at my occupation, an Industrial Engineer (and 3 years out of school), I started having a cold feeling in my right hand which was soon followed by the left. I was diagnosed with TOS and/or a C6-7 disk bulge. An MRI showed a bulge to the right and xrays were negative for an extra rib. After about 3 months of PT and rearranging my workstation my symptoms went away.

A year later the symptoms came back, but the PT did not seem to help. I struggled at work for a year before going on disability. I have now been off work for more than 8 months with bilateral symptoms of cold hands, some elbow pain, and back discomfort between my shoulder blades.

I've had the following tests:
XRays: Negative for extra rib
MRI of Cervical Spine: 3 separate MRIs showed a bulge at c6-7 to the right
EMG/Nerve Conduction: 4 separate tests were all normal bilaterally
Cervical Epidural: Twice. Symptoms went away completely after a week for about 1-2 weeks
Evoke Potential: Normal bilaterally

I also had an ulnar nerve transposition on my left elbow with no noticable improvement.

A Plastic Surgeon/Hand Surgeon in St. Louis diagnosed me with Carpal Tunnel, Cubital Tunnel, and TOS. She is recommending surgery for Carpal and Cubital Tunnel and PT for TOS. She did say that this is work related.

I am going to a Vascular Surgeon from your list in Iowa City on 4/30 for a second opinion. I would consider cortisone injections in shoulder or wrist to help in the diagnosis.

I plan to fully exhaust PT before considering anymore surgeries. I think I'm getting better, but very slowly.

I am also expecting a decision from WC and will likely appeal with an attorney if denied-which I expect.
The WC doctor believes that I need neck surgery but the neurosurgeons have told me that neck surgery could possibly give some relief on the right side but would not relieve any symptoms on the left. They did not offer surgery as option.
Gator is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (04-17-2008), trixlynn (04-17-2008)