View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up yes...

It is very important for the newer members here to realize that THEY
THEMSELVES have to become an active part in their handling of PN. One cannot expect a doctor to do the same type of intervention for PN that they do for say, pneumonia. So people do expect something and when they get NOTHING, it seems very unfair and frightening.

Because there are so many types of PN...it is best to know what you are
dealing with. So diagnosis is important up to a point.

But for day to day management of pain/discomfort, and for suggestions to
assist and speed healing if possible, the medical community is very ineffective.

Rose (B12) and I have been here over 10 yrs now (on this and the other forum).
I brought P5P and magnets to the boards long long ago. I also brought essential fatty acids (omega-3) research and in some cases was even attacked for that! Now we see transfats removed from our food and omega-3s now added to eggs/mayo and peanutbutter! And I search constantly for more ideas and offer my experience with my own searching for relief.
Now I see P5P in an RX designed for neuropathy! How cool is that? (Metanx).
And the reverse, the methyfolate I recommended for years has been sequestered by Merck to on RX use (not an FDA move), just because they want to sell more and make more $$ on RX products! Metafolin was SO INEXPENSIVE OTC...it is a crime that this happened!

So over the past 10 yrs, alot has happened to PN patients. I only hope that the new members read our board and the stickies to learn what their options really are!

Edit to add in 2012... since this post was written, Merck has released methylfolate BACK to OTC status on a limited basis. Solgar offers it OTC in 800mcg tablets. I guess they didn't make as much $$ as they thought by sequestering it to RX

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 04-11-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: adding 2012 comment
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chicosalt (01-27-2017), DejaVu (05-27-2010), fabdou (06-10-2010), LizaJane (04-17-2008), norahs (05-10-2011), Rena26 (12-30-2011), tovaxin_lab_rat (04-17-2008)