Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb sitting-resting position

astern gave us permission to repost these great ideas:
Quote:
my sitting-resting position
Hx, my Feldenkrais therapist gave me a GREAT sitting position:

Sit in chair, being sure both feet are either planted firmly on the ground (or I find proping them up on a stool or chair to pull less on the BP), and your 'butt bones' planted firmly and equally on the seat. With good posture and shoulders down, place your hands PALMS UP on your thighs as close to your hips/stomach as possible. Make sure your elbows have free room to stick out wherever they happen to be. (a chair with arms may hamper this)

The 'palms up' is critical. notice how it cocks your shoulders back just a fraction? This places your shoulder capsule directly over the shoulder blades creating balance for the spine. It makes the spine a more stable platform for your head.

Head position is also very important. You might use a mirror to see your profile view when sitting and how your head is positioned. I find my default head position is looking UP a bit - which is very bad for me. I have to always re-right myself.
Quote:
One other thing I can add from my Feldenkrais sessions, is to lie down (on bed/couch/comfey floor with head on a pillow) and put your feet up on the wall, with pillows under your knees for support. It's like being in a sitting position only horizontally. Feel your feet pressing on the wall supporting you. It eases tension on the brachial plexus. Give it 30 min or so and you may get some relief.
thursday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (10-31-2010)