View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb what you found

is not exactly like methylfolate...but it is close. It is partially activated.

It is the OTC version of the Rx Leucovorin (which is given to people having
chemo). It is ironic... methylfolate gets put into RX only by Merck, and an
RX only comes off into OTC status. It is all about money.

I researched folinic version and there are papers showing children who do
not respond to regular folic acid supplements, DO respond to folinIC.

So that is as close as you are going to get. There is one OTC item online
that is very expensive that Merck is still selling to. It is a mixture of B12, B6 and methylfolate called Homocysteine defense something or other. I can't recall the name of it now,
but it was VERY expensive...over 30-40 dollars a month.

There is one new thing about high dose folic acid (and the other derivatives):
New studies have just come out on young women who were taking high dose folic acid
to prevent spina bifida in their fetuses. Some took 5mg/day, if they were high risk.
These younger patients are showing up now with colon cancer at higher rates.
The folate is thought to be a stimulus to those with polyps or genetic risk for colon cancer.
So if you take the folinic or folic, I'd stick to the 800mcg dose for now, until more
information is forthcoming. (Metanx is VERY HIGH in methylfolate--2.8mg I think) Any nutrient has the potential for fueling cancerous cells..
so I think those cells have to be present in the first place. This is why oncologists often
give conflicting advice. It is hard to know which way a patient will go... 1) improve with
supplement support, or 2) fuel the cancer and undermine the chemo.
Leucovorin has been used for decades for chemo patients...so I don't know what the
new studies will show, if anything.

Edit 2012... Merck decided to release methylfolate back into some OTC products. Solgar is one who now offers it in 800mcg tablets.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 01-08-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: new information on Metafolin
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ann-elizabeth (04-17-2008), DejaVu (05-27-2010), Megan (04-21-2008)