View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
The flush niacin comes in immediate release and slow release. Not everyone gets liver damage from the slow release type. Immediate release is also removed from the body faster, than slow release.

A baby aspirin 81mg is not typically enough to block a niacin flush. Typically a 325 is used (and not enteric coated).

Not everyone responds to non-flush niacin with lowering of cholesterol. You'll have to be tested to see
if you do.
This is what my doctor told me to do when my test results came back the other day. I don't know why she said to use the 81mgs...could it be because it helps boost the blood level of niacin? I didn't know about the coated aspirin. I *can* say I had no adverse reactions to the niacin tablet I took last night. So I'm grateful for that. I'll stay at the 500mg dose for at least a week and then up it to the full 1000mg's she wants me to be taking. Figure it's better to take it slowly than end up not taking it because of sides.

There is a problem/interaction between aspirin and niacin supplements. Best way I can explain it is the aspirin increases the blood levels of niacin and keeps it in your system longer which can be a bad thing for your kidneys if I understood the info correctly. There may be something in between there that causes the kidney trouble but I can't remember what it was right off hand.

Thanks MrsD! As always, you provide invaluable info.

ETA: She told me to take the aspirin 30 minutes before the Niacin.