View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Thanks so much for your help.

I just went down to my landlord's apartment and I was starting to tell her about the standyby mode. She told me "I just phoned Dell and they are sending me someone'. I said "oh, that's good, by the way, did you tell them that you have no sound coming out of your speakers?" and she said: "No I forgot".

So I said "okay, this is important, BEFORE YOU CHANGED THE HARD DRIVE, YOU HAD SOUND, RIGHT?? and she said "right?"

So I then said: 'After the guy put the new hard drive in, did you have sound? and she said "No".

So I said "You need to download new drivers, don't worry it's easy".

She said: "I need to download drivers, what are drivers?"

Sigh.
this is going to get VERY COMPLICATED.

So I think I shall let the guy from Dell come there and do whatever it is the guy from Dell is going to do.

She is exactly where I was 15 years ago, when I got my first PC. I was completely clueless.

Oh well, we have to learn sometime now don't we??

thanks much
Sounds like you are on the right track.
I bought a complete new PC system a year ago and it came with Vista. All was OK until I downloaded video from my camcorder-no sound.

Contacted various people involved with the PC and its components-no luck. Read on Google that Vista is very fussy about sound cards, and generally speaking you need a Vista certified compatible sound card. So the new sound card supplied with the Vista system was not compatible. I had to have a new one fitted.

Old ones may work to some extent, or as in your case, not at all.

It is unwise to put Vista into an older PC. Not only will some components not work properly, but software also.
At last most firms have put out patches for their software. At the start, they hadn't, so just might be lucky. At least now you know what to expect!

Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote