View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Niacin protocol, among other things

First, Jarrett, if you're going to take Niacin, I suggest contacting Wings. His doctor gave him a protocol which is very well thought out for exactly what brand to buy and how to dose it. He's had a very good result. Personally, I have not been able to take it.

But the total cholesterol number is not such a thing to worry about. It is unlikely that cholesterol, in the absence of other risk factors, should be treated with statins at a level that is just borderline high like yours. Your HDL/LDL ratio is important; your CRP, and your homocysteine. Family history is important. If all these are good, I'd suggest taking fish oil and antioxidants and eating a mediterrean diet. Again, Wings is the expert on that.

My cholesterol has been in the 200-250 range for years. It spiked to 350 last summer. My endo wanted me on a statin. My cardiologist said I'm the last person who should be on one, besides which my HDL was high. He said eliminate all saturated fats totally, eat soluble fiber, and see what happens. I did and in 3 months I was 190.

The only interesting thing there was that my HDL came down more than my LDL, so I ended up with a lower total cholesterol but a worse ratio. Go figger. Anyway, my CRP and homocysteine are good, I take Eyecaps for antioxidants, and try to stay with the diet. I'm not as good about it as I was in the fall, but I haven't totally fallen off the wagon. It's do-able.

Oh, and exercise, of course.

I think you can manage this well and safely without statins as you are trying to do.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote