Thread: I got the call
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm VERY surprised they are doing both sides so close together. When you have the surgery, the phrenic nerve is irritated. The phrenic nerve is responsible for deep breathing, and when it's irritated, it's VERY difficult to take a cleansing breath. I could not be released until I could breathe properly, having only ONE SIDE done, and that took me a WEEK having only ONE SIDE done. My doctor didn't want me having my other side done for at least 6 months after the first side was done. I'm very concerned yours is willing to do both sides so close together. Please make sure your surgeon and nurses are checking your breathing. Additionally, if you aren't breathing well, the risk of pneumonia is greater, cuz the fluid is not being expelled frmo your lungs. If they are going in the second time, 2 days later, it would only stand to reason your lungs will be operating at even LESS capacity, so the risk of pneumonia will be even HIGHER.

To exercise the lungs, blow/breathe deeply into the sphagmometer that they will hopefully give you at the hopsital. If they do't give you one, ask for one. This is important. Also, walk the halls as soon after surgery as you can. This moves the fluid around and exercises your lungs also.

Okay...I had my right side done last December. My left hasn't been done yet, and I doubt it will cuz I had rsd also, and the surgery made my rsd worse...I refuse to be "cut" again, cuz the first cutting making this rsd worse has totally KILLED me. My rsd has spread, so obviously my body is telling me "don't get that other side done!" LOL!. Anyway, after the right side only, I was out of commission for at LEAST 6 weeks. So I'm telling yo that if you only have help for 2 weeks, you best round up MORE help for about 4 additional weeks. I hope yu have closed your daycare for at least 6 weeks, hon. There is NO WAY you will be able to chase after kids for at least that long...maybe longer. I only had ONE SIDE done and was out o it for 6 weeks. I have really no idea why they are doing both of yours so close together. I have never heard of this...but hopefully someone pipes in who has cuz to me, this isn't right.

PILLOWS PILLOWS PILLOWS. That was my big thing. The sofer I could make what I leaned against, the better I felt. They were behind me, and under my arms, and on my lap so I could rest my elbows and not be in a "shrug of the shoulders" position. Pajama bottoms or sweat pants, shirts that zip or button up and that are LOOSE, and try to get some of the shampoo from the hospital that you can use to wash your hair without actually having to take a full blown shower. You won't eally have the energy for a few days.

Teh pain meds will constipate you, so get some laxitaves. You don't want to get anything that will cramp you up, so get something like senekot. However, the off brand, senna, works the same way. Or take about 500-750 mg's of magnesium daily. tha works the same way also, and is good for you. You may also want to start looking around for one of those little tables that you see for use in bed...like the ones used to serve breakfast in bed. That's where you'll be eating for a while. Hopefully you have a pull out sofa in the living room. That was my "bedroom" for quite a while. That way I could still be with the family while I recovered. I went to bed upstairs in the evenings.

But the biggest thing for me was PILLOWS. I think they saved me. You will also need them for the ride home, too, so have hubby bring at LEAST 4 of them. Tuck them under your arms, and hold one against your tummy, as a "cough pillow." You may cough, and it will HURT, but if you hold a pillow tight against your stomach, it will help to hold things tight so it won't hurt as MUCH.
LisaM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote