View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hello carla,
I was wandering around and came across your post. I don't know if I responded to it before, but Iwant to make sure I say welcome. As you probably know there are not many in here with cadasil, just a few of us. I got Dx'd about a year ago.(after 6 years of trying to figure out what I had.) Apparently, my family has a variant strain of the disease, not from the main genetic defect but a variation from a variant gene which can also cause it. We found it during my mother's autopsy. She lived until 94, so we might have the kinder gentler form of cadasil. My older sister's MRI is quite a bit worse than mine or my 2 brothers, but unlike us, she has no symptoms (but she is thick headed anyway,or so we boys say, and wouldn't admit any symptoms if she had any.) Lately, I have been having trouble with my legs and my walking days are probably almost over. I no longer drive (too much dementia for that, plus myoclonus jerking). And the bus service sucks. I thinks my plans for a bicycle are gone too. Hopefully I still be able to garden...I've been planting asparaguses and raspberries this spring. With the fatigue, it has been hard to do.
I also have starting swimming again, working on my butterfly lately, in hopes that I can compete again in some master's meets, but that too is probably wishful thinking. I wish you well, and hope you enjoy your time here.
michael178 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote