Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Post I don't know either...

Here is a good monograph on ALA:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente.../la/index.html

Skin rashes and hives are listed.
Once hives start, I'd be very careful with ALA. I'd stop it entirely for 2 wks and reintroduce at the lower dose.

But it might be better to switch to the R-version. I am only using 100mg a day of that, and so far no rashes.

It might be a reaction to something in the product you are using..some filler, or something that is left over during synthesis. The racemic version you use has both R and L in it, and of course that being a mixture, one doesn't know which may be causing the reaction.

I did find thiotic acid listed along with other sulfur containing compounds:
Quote:
Disulfide bonds are important to the structural integrity of the connective tissues. Sulfur is a central component of proteins that chelate and remove heavy metals from the body. The benefits of sulfur compounds used in health products is often mentioned. Popular items include alpha-lipoic acid (thiotic acid), methyl-sulfonyl-methane (MSM), allicin (the sulfur compound that is the main active ingredient of garlic), glucosamine sulfate (and its natural polymer, chondroitin), SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine), and several important antioxidants, such as glutathione, N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and dimethyl-sulfoxide (DMSO).
NAC listed in that list also causes rashes as a reaction.
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/sulfa.htm

It is possible that taking large doses, leaves some ALA unbound to proteins, and the unbound form is irritating, or causes a histamine release.

But once a person gets hives, you have to stop the offending thing.
Ignoring an allergic reaction, can lead to anaphylaxsis.

If you decide to reintroduce it, be very careful, and have Benadryl handy.
Please be careful.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote