Thread: I got the call
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 01:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Tracey,

I had my right thoracic outlet operated on January of this year.. I had a scalenectomy and resection with neuroplasty of the nerves.. I didn't have a rib removed..

My pain control was good in the hospital and pretty good at home but there were times when it was so painful.. I didn't have use of my right arm for a good month and I wasn't allowed to lift over 3 pounds for 3 months.. It has been close to 10 months and I have started to have some discomfort returning above the clavical and into the shoulder and down to the elbow.. I had a repeat neurography and I now have scar tissue rebuilding in the surgical side which is causing some pressure and irritation to the nerves..

I am also Bilateral and need to have surgery on my left side.. I had hoped to go ahead with that surgery after the first of the year but now I may need to have them clean up the right first and wait on the left..
I myself couldn't imagine having had both sides done at once with the limitations I had on the right side.. My left became my dominate hand for awhile..

I needed help doing so much.. The first month was the hardest for me and I was so glad I had the help I had at the time.. My breathing was bad as I had shortness of breath for at least a month and as everyone said Pillows, Pillows, Pillows... I still can't lift over 4 pounds it is difficult and too heavy for me.. In my previous job I had to lift 80 pounds and now I can't do more than 4 with both arms and hands..

I have had relief with my first surgery as my hands don't cramp up and I have feeling back in my right hand..
As Gromley said this is serious surgery.. Please be careful and have help around for a Long time..

You are in my prayers.. Keep us posted on your outcome..
Best of luck..

((Hugs))
Dawn